Creating Custom Maps
From OBEY wiki
Revision as of 16:58, 1 February 2015 by Dez (creating 'creating custom maps' page)
You can create custom maps for OBEY by using the free and open source Tiled map editor.
- maps should not exceed 99 tiles in either axis (or it will cause lighting bugs)
- also consider that large maps and maps with lots of forest areas will cause slowdown for players with older machines
- all maps need ONE dropship location
- sentries should exist at least by robo's door so that mines and laser walls will not be placeable there (mines and laser walls are not allowed to be placed near any sentries). In maps with multiple Robosaru's, sentries are attached to the nearest robo.
- feed boxes will not work unless the the property on it called 'robo' has a value that matches a the name of a Robosaru in the map
- do not allow holes in the map where players have no way out (this will cause them to suicide which will penalize their points on some servers) aka they will hate your map and never play it again.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT OBEY IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT AND MAP ELEMENTS AND COMPONENTS WILL CHANGE AS DEVELOPMENT PROGRESSES!
HOW TO EDIT:
- 1) To create a map, start by opening one of the existing official maps in Tiled. It has a lot of necessary elements that you won't have to recreate.
- 2) Once opened save it as your own. It is recommended to save it as yourMapName01, so that with each iteration other players who are helping you test they won't have to delete the older version (a server will not allow a client to connect if the client has a map with the same name that differs).
- 3) Note that maps have two layers: the object layer and the tile layer, both visible on the upper right
- 4) Edit the terrain layer ONLY by using the terrain tool which looks like a little map icon at the top of the screen. This is important because it will keep your map from having seams and tile integration bugs.